Wednesday, August 10, 2011

greek cauliflower tabouli salad


Here is the thing.  I wanted 2011 to be my year of health.  I think I have been saying things like "clean living", "life style change", and "cleanse" since the calendar flipped to 2011 at midnight.  They have almost become my mantra but, the strange thing is I have never felt worse.  This has not been the healthiest year of my life.  I am struggling to get over this hump and just feel like myself again.  Making big vegetarian side dishes at the start of the week to add to my dinner plate is a step toward better eating.  Substituting cauliflower for a grain in this tabouli is very interesting if you like cauliflower. I know a lot of people dislike cauliflower ... my husband and kids looked at me as if I was an alien with three heads when I tried adding some cauliflower puree to their mashed potatoes.  I swear someone like Jessica Seinfeld said they would never even notice.  Has she met my husband?  He can detect and completely detest a vegetable from a mile away.  Seriously once the other flavors and textures are layered in the cauliflower does not dominate this light and fresh side dish. This from a total veggie lover who thinks kale would be awesome in this.  Here is to a healthier fall and winter.

greek cauliflower tabouli salad
source: sweetflours

1 head cauliflower
2 plum tomatoes; seeded and diced small
1/2 red onion; small dice
1/2 english cucumber; small dice
4 ounces crumbled herb feta cheese
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper 

Grate 1 head cauliflower into grain-size pieces with a box grater. Toss with plum tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, lemon juice, and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I've definitely also been struggling this year, but last week I full on committed to not feeling like crap anymore. This tabouli salad is a fabulous way to start!

That Girl said...

I'm like your husband, cauliflower is not my thing. I've tried really hard to like it, but I just can't!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

This looks great girl! i love colorful dishes that are also good for you. You can't feel bad for eating this. We are having fish tomorrow night so this might go great with it

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS