Thursday, April 28, 2011

strawberry cheesecake with graham cracker crust swirl ice cream


I had a HUGE flop in the kitchen this week.  The big disaster ate my beautiful basket of organic strawberries.  There were so many signs that this cake was going to be a disaster but, I refused to listen.  The online reviews were horrid, the new buttermilk had clumps when I poured it, my lemon was gone.  The signs were there but, I pressed on and produced the grossest, pastiest, dense cake. The strawberry flavor was nonexistent or possibly overwhelmed by a gummy flour taste.  It was so bad even the frosting which was very good could not save it.  It went into the trash can.  I could not be defeated.  I got back in the kitchen that night to make something with the rest of my berries.  I was not feeling overly ambitious or excited about doing a ton of dishes.  This ice cream is a lazy version with no egg yolks and no heating involved.  I did add and mix in the graham cracker crust chunks but, only because that is my favorite part of a cheesecake.  This ice cream is easy and best of all it put me back on the board.  I did not let the strawberry layer cake take me down. 

strawberry cheesecake with graham cracker crust swirl ice cream
adapted: gourmet

3/4 pound (1 quart) strawberries
8 ounces softened cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream 
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup butter, melted

In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in butter. Pat into an small 8x8 ungreased baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove from pan and break into 1 inch pieces.  Save all the crumbs and small bits.
 
To make the ice cream, purée the strawberries with the cream cheese, sugar, milk, and salt. Stir in the heavy cream, chill completely, then freeze in an ice-cream maker. 


In a large freezer proof container, layer the ice cream and graham cracker crust; swirl. Freeze. 

4 comments:

Deborah said...

What a great way to redeem yourself from a kitchen flop!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Hey I have no flops more times than I can count. Just last week for Grant's birthday I was cooking at the wee hours of the night and the first cake I made was yucky, the second I dropped on the floor and the third was finally the winner.

This is totally the type of ice cream I like to do. I hate the yolks and heating part of other ice creams. I find that the simple ones taste just as good and I agree with you on the crust- that is my favorite part about cheesecake too!

That Girl said...

I have a hard time keeping enough berries to use for baked goods. My strawberries seem to disappear straight from the basket to my mouth first.

Joanne said...

Well, I'll definitely be avoiding THAT cake...but this ice cream? Oh it will be made. Soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS